1 small butternut squash, peeled, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 – 10 stalks green kale, chopped
1/2 a red apple
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, chopped*
Optional: 1/3 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
1/4 cup apple cider
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400F. Toss the squash cubes with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt, spread on a baking sheet, and roast until soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool. (Use about 1 cup of cubes per salad. Save any leftover cubes for a quick side dish or small batch of squash soup.)
- Add the kale to a large bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil, and massage the kale with your hands until thoroughly coated.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add the mustard seeds. Toast the seeds a few minutes or just until seeds start to pop. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients; taste and adjust salt and vinegar as needed.
- Just before tossing the kale and onions with the squash in the bowl, thinly slice the apple and add to the bowl. Drizzle some dressing over everything and toss to coat. Divide into two bowls. Top with chopped hazelnuts and shaved Parmesan.
*To toast hazelnuts, spread on baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Let cool. You can rub off some of the loose skins if you want but don’t worry about it.