It feels good working together to nourish and nurture our community.
From those firing up our ovens in the wee hours of the morning to the re-stocking of our shelves late at night, the 175+ people who staff Oryana bring skill, bright curiosity, and passionate work ethic to their roles at the co-op. Together, we create the backdrop for all this co-op goodness to happen.
Benefits of a Model Workplace
We offer fair wages to empower both our staff and our local economy.
Offering a fair wage to all of our employees is not only part of our guiding principles, but also helps support the local economy. Oryana spends nearly $7 million per year on labor and benefits and practices a Sustainable Wage Model. Currently, all employees are guaranteed to make at least $15/hour within their first 6 months. Starting wages vary by position and are reflective of experience. Hard work is continually recognized as staff are eligible for annual performance-based pay increases.
Health & Benefits
We support the health of our employees as well as the health of our community.
Full-time and Part-time staff working at least 20 hours/week are eligible to choose from amongst a variety of comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision Insurance plans. Oryana pays 68-94% of these costs. After a year all of these employees are eligible for a 401(k) plan with an up to 4% match by Oryana.
Our customers are the reason we’re here, so we’re here when they are (and before and after them).
As a grocery store, Oryana offers a variety of shifts (early morning, afternoon, evening, weekend, etc.) 7 days a week. Typical shifts are 6-8 hours and we can often accommodate student and part-time schedules. Most positions require working some evenings and/or weekends.
We enjoy good food together.
Oryana employees receive 25% off all Food and Wellness purchases at Oryana. In case you’re still hungry, we love food and celebrate our staff with it often. Staff receive a free piece of fruit for each shift worked, free coffee and tea while on the clock and share in celebratory lunches and snacks together on a regular basis.
PTO, Paid Breaks, and Volunteer Hours
We believe that hard work is deserving of good rest.
Paid Time Off accruals based on hours worked begin immediately for PT and FT employees. For example, a 40 hour/week employee accrues 3 weeks of PTO throughout their first year. Paid breaks are provided and Oryana pays employees for up to 8 hours per year of volunteer time in the community at a cause of their choice.
We believe investing in our employees makes us all stronger.
Oryana conducts an average of 1,000 hours in employee training each year. For new employees this includes a full-day orientation, as well as access to Oryana University – which offers continuing education in a variety of topics for all employees including Open Book Management, Financial Education, Leadership Skills, Food Safety, Organic regulations and much more.
Are we right for each other?
We work together and work hard. We’re always learning. We’re stronger together.
We’re always looking for the best candidates to join our team. We take the hiring process seriously because we’re excited to see you contribute, thrive, and grow. Our workplace is fun, challenging and rewarding, and we’re all held to a high standard. Below is a bit about how we approach our work. If this sounds like you, we’d love to have you apply.
- I believe customers truly come first and exceeding their expectations is always my goal.
- I actively approach work with a positive attitude, even on those days it isn’t easy.
- I say yes to new ideas and ways of doing things; being adaptable and open to change sounds like an exciting challenge.
- I believe it takes a team to make big things happen and we all have a role to play.
- I problem-solve when solutions are needed.
- I love to learn and share that knowledge with others; I look for opportunities to engage with customers and help my team grow.
- My participation contributes to making my workplace amazing.
The Application Process
As you can see, we take hiring and finding the right fit seriously. So hopefully it’s not surprising that we may ask more of you than other potential employers with our application process. Here are some details to help you know what to expect:
- Give yourself some time to complete our online application. This is your opportunity to give us all the information we need to decide if you might be a good fit for the position and if we should move forward with an interview.
- You’ll need to create an account to complete the application; if you apply again in the future the information you previously entered will be saved.
- You can upload your resume and/or cover letter if you choose, but it is not required. The application will use information from your resume to fill in relevant sections of the application.
- To complete the application be prepared to provide information on previous employment, including contact information for former employers. We’ll also ask for personal references, these should be individuals that can speak to your work or character, such as co-workers, teachers, and mentors.
- Availability is an important deciding factor in whether we consider you for a position. Please note the requirements of the position and give the availability you can work rather than just your preferred schedule.
- Please check to make sure all the sections are complete before submitting your application.
- You will receive confirmation from us once we receive your completed application. We will be in touch if we decide to invite you for an interview. Unfortunately, due to the number of applications we receive, if you are not chosen for an interview, we will not be able to follow up personally.
- However, we do keep applications on file and review recent applications as new positions open up – you don’t need to fill out another application for different positions. If you are still interested in being considered for positions and more than a month has gone by since you applied, please send us a message including any changes in your availability, so we have up to date information and know to keep your application active.
Feel free contact us if you have questions on the process or your application.
Current Job Openings