1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 block firm tofu, about 1 pound
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon dried herbs or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as chives, dill, parsley, etc.
1/4 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos or tamari, or more to taste
- Mash the tofu with a fork in a bowl until crumbly.
- Sauté the onion and pepper in oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tofu, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, yeast, and herbs, and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in water and Braggs and cook another 2 minutes. Taste and add more Braggs if necessary. Serve immediately.
Be sure to store your tofu completely submerged in water or it will become slimy. Change the water daily and use fresh tofu within a week.
You can experiment wildly with this recipe. Try one of the following variations.
1. Half a bunch of asparagus, cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces and a handful of chopped mushrooms
2. 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped, 1 small zucchini, diced, 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
3. 4 green onions, chopped, 1⁄2 cup corn, 1/2 cup black or red beans
4. 1 small onion, chopped, leftover cooked potatoes, diced
1. 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon, cumin, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, salt
2. 1 teaspoon curry powder, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, salt
3. 2 teaspoons dried soup seasoning, 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon paprika, black pepper
4. 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast