Swiss Chard Crostada with Fennel Seed Crust
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Up to 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat. Toast fennel seeds, stirring constantly, until seeds are golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Set up food processor.
- Place cooled fennel seeds, flour, salt, and Parmesan cheese into food processor. Pulse until blended. Add olive oil and blend to combine. While processor is running, pour in ½ cup ice water (no ice), and add more if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough just begins to form a ball. Dough should be wet and smooth, but not sticky.
- Drop dough ball onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 30 seconds until it comes together fully. Flatten dough slightly, form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to one day prior to assembly.
In a small bowl, combine and then set aside:
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 pinches of ground nutmeg
Prepare the following:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced medium
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large bunches Swiss chard, leaves sliced into ¼ inch ribbons (about 15 loosely packed cups)
1 cup stems cut to 1/4-inch dice
- Preheat large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Cook onion until it softens, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and chard stems until stems soften, about 5 minutes. Add chard leaves and red pepper mix. Cook until leaves are fully wilted and any liquid has cooked off, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a piece of parchment paper, flatten the dough and roll it from the center outward with a lightly floured rolling pin. Create a circle about 15 inches in diameter and a little less than ¼ inch thick. Transfer parchment and dough to large baking sheet.
In a large bowl, combine
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add cooled chard mix and blend well. Spoon onto crust starting in the center. Spread evenly and leave 1 ½ inches of dough showing around edge.
- Gently fold edges of dough up and over filling, pleating edges as you go. Add 1 teaspoon water to an egg, beat until frothy and brush on crust.
- Bake 45 minutes in 375° preheated oven or until crust is golden and filling is done in the center.