2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, peeled, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon oregano
Splash of hot sauce
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 15 oz. can red beans, drained
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons arrowroot
Optional: 2 slices cooked, chopped bacon, or cooked, chopped smoked sausage
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add in the onion, garlic, carrot, and green pepper. Season with salt. Saute for about 5-6 minutes until veggies soften. Stir in the paprika, tomato paste, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Add the broth and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Whisk the arrowroot with 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth and add to the pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the beans and vinegar (and meat, if using) and cook until heated through. Taste and add salt or vinegar, as needed. Remove the bay leaf and serve over grits or polenta.
To make grits:
2 cups water
2 cups milk or plain plant milk (or use 4 cups vegetable broth, total liquid)
1 cup grits
1⁄4 cup half and half (or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast)
1-2 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter spread)
- Heat the water and milk in a heavy saucepan until it simmers.
- Stir grits into the hot water and milk. Cook, stirring often, until grits are tender the consistency of cream of wheat, about 20-25 minutes.
- Season grits with salt and stir in the half and half and butter.