Homemade Almond Milk
1 cup raw almonds
3 cups filtered water
pinch sea salt
Optional: ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: sweetener of choice i.e. maple syrup, stevia, agave syrup, to taste
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with an inch of water. They will plump up as they absorb the water. Let stand on the counter overnight or at least 12 hours. The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk will be. Drain the soaking water and rinse the almonds. Discard soaking water.
- In a blender or Vitamix, add the almonds and 3 cups water along with the vanilla and sweetener, if using.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl through a sprout bag, nutmilk bag, or cheesecloth. Press and squeeze all the almond milk from the almond meal.
- Pour into glass jar or pitcher and refrigerate for up to four days.
Note: You can save the almond meal and use it in smoothies, pancakes, muffins, quick breads, or your morning oatmeal.