Easy Mashed Potato Casserole
This dish is easy to make and would be perfect to bring along to a Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving celebration.
5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
2 large bay leaves
1 stick butter, melted
1 8 oz. container sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 heaping cup grated white cheddar cheese
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, bring the potatoes, bay leaves, plenty of water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Boil the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Remove the bay leaves.
- Mash the potatoes with 1 stick melted butter, sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Mash in the cheddar cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. (It’s ok if the potatoes a little bit lumpy.) Spread the potatoes into the prepared pan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the potatoes, and then sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden and piping hot, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Note: this can be made up to 3 days in advance. Assemble the pan of potatoes but don’t bake it; wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate.