Slightly adapted from southernliving.com • Makes 16 hand pies
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, diced small
1/4 cup cane sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrusts (4 piecrusts total)
8 soft caramel candies, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a bowl.
- Unroll one of the piecrusts on a lightly floured surface, and cut out 8 circles using a 3-inch cookie cutter. (Discard dough scraps, or reserve for another use.) Repeat process with remaining 3 piecrusts.
- Arrange 16 of the dough rounds on prepared baking sheet. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the apple filling mixture onto center of each of the 16 rounds, leaving a 1/4-inch border around filling. Sprinkle chopped caramel candies evenly onto filling mounds.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush egg wash over edges of the 16 filled dough rounds. Top filled dough rounds with remaining 16 dough rounds. Crimp together top and bottom dough-round edges using a fork, sealing each pie. Brush pie tops with remaining egg mixture. Cut small slits (about 1/2 inch long) into each pie top.
- Bake until pies are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.