1 bunch thin, tender asparagus, tough ends snapped off
1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
flour for dusting
1 8-oz. container crème fraîche
1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Asiago would work too)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the crème fraîche with the egg, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the pastry dough to about a 10 x 13 inch rectangle. Carefully transfer the dough to the sheet pan. Prick the pastry all over with a fork about an inch apart between pokes.
- Spread the crème fraîche mix evenly to within 1 inch of the edge of the pastry. Lay the asparagus spears over the creme fraiche, alternating tips with ends.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute. Cut into squares using a sharp pizza cutter or sharp chef knife. Can be served warm or at room temperature.