1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 flowering heads dill or handful fresh dill sprigs
Water and sea salt for brine
1 quart jar
- Make a brine with a ratio of 2 tablespoons sea salt to 1 quart filtered water.
- Add the red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, peppercorns, and dill to jar.
- Place the green beans on top of the seasonings, straight up if they are long and thin or sideways if thicker and cut into chunks. You can pack them in tightly. Cover completely with brine solution.
- Seal tightly with a lid and allow to ferment at 60° to 80°F for 3 to 10 days, tasting to determine when it has fermented to your taste. (It will get tangier as it ferments.)
- Transfer to cold storage.