by Ali Lopez
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
5 garlic cloves, whole
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound fusilli pasta, or other pasta shape
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
sea salt and ground black pepper
Italian parsley, fresh, for garnish
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon maple syrup
- To Prepare Parmesan Topping:
- In a food processor, combine blanched almonds, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and sea salt. Pulse until it forms a crumble. Add in maple syrup and pulse again. Use this to top each serving of the pasta alfredo.
- To Prepare Pasta Alfredo:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix cauliflower, garlic, and onion with olive oil in a large baking pan and season with sea salt. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring a few times, and remove from oven when vegetables are fork tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare the pasta according to package directions in salted water. Drain and reserve 1 cup cooking water.
- In a blender, add the cooked vegetables, almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and about 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Blend until smooth. Toss sauce with the cooked pasta and add pepper to taste. Top with parsley garnish and Parmesan topping.