1/2 cup carrot, julienned*
1/2 cup red pepper, julienned
1/2 cup cucumber, julienned
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed
several stems fresh mint
4 oz thin rice noodles
24 shrimp, cooked
8-10 spring roll rice papers
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
juice from 1 lime
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Prepare rice noodles in boiling water per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the peanut sauce by whisking all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- To assemble spring rolls, pour very hot water into a shallow pan or skillet and immerse the rice paper to soften for about 10-15 seconds.
- Transfer to a damp cutting board or clean, damp countertip and gently spread out edges into a circle. This can be tricky!
- Add a small handful of vermicelli noodles to the bottom third of the rice wrapper. Place a few carrots, peppers, cucumber, a few mint leaves and some cilantro and 2-3 shrimp on the noodles. Carefully fold over once, tuck in the edges, and continue rolling until seam is sealed, as you would roll up a burrito.
- Place seam-side down on a serving platter and cover with damp towel to keep fresh. Repeat until all fillings are used up. Serve immediately with peanut sauce.
*sliced into long, thin strips