Makes 24 small cookies
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 squares (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of finely ground black pepper (a little goes a long way!)
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on two baking pans.
- Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda & powder, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop small scoops of dough (about a heaping teaspoon) onto the prepared pans 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool a few minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.