Celebrate the longest day of the year with a simple, delicious meal to ring in summer!
Spinach White Bean Hummus
1 15 oz. can canellini beans, rinsed, drained
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini
1 cup fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
dash of hot sauce
sea salt to taste
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice, if needed. If it’s too thick, add a few teaspoons of water. Serve with pita chips, corn chips, or fresh veggies.
Rhubarb Salad with Goat Cheese & Honey Dressing
6-8 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Sea salt and ground pepper
fresh baby greens or arugula
1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat oven to 450°F. Mix rhubarb with honey in a bowl. Spread on a greased, rimmed baking sheet and roast about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Lightly toast the walnuts in the oven on a baking sheet about 5 minutes. Let cool and chop.
- Whisk together oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Whisk in salt and pepper. Add the greens and fennel and toss to coat.
- Divide greens onto 4 plates and top with rhubarb, walnuts, and goat cheese.
Garden Fresh Asparagus Soup
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups diced and peeled red potatoes
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup Crème fraîche, sour cream, or vegan sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions or chives
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, coconut milk and asparagus. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Whisk sour cream, lemon juice, and green onions or chives in a small bowl. Divide the soup into 4 bowls and garnish with the cream mixture.
Chive Flower Grilled Chicken with Garlic Spinach and Cheddar Polenta
4 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 local chive flowers, chopped fine
optional: chive flowers for garnish
1/2 cup quick cooking polenta
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 bunch or bag spinach, washed, stems removed
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt to taste
- Marinate chicken thighs in vinegar, olive oil, chive flowers and salt and pepper for 30 minutes. Heat grill to medium high. Cook chicken thighs for 3 – 4 minutes, flip and cook other side until cooked through. Remove from grill.
- While chicken is cooking, heat the broth to a simmer, pour the polenta into the broth in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until thick. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in garlic and cook for 30 seconds until garlic browns. Add spinach and toss with tongs, incorporating the garlic, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until spinach is wilted. Season with salt. Serves 2-3
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
8 oz semisweet organic chocolate chips
1 pound organic strawberries, large if possible, washed and dried well, stems intact
- Place chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally, until melted, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. You could also melt them using the microwave oven. Put chocolate chips in a glass or ceramic bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir the chocolate with a spoon or plastic spatula to check out the extent to which the chocolate has melted (it’s not obvious based on appearance because chocolate gets heated inside-out, and retains its shape when heated). Heat for 30 more seconds if needed. Stir again (and/or heat again if needed) until all the chips have melted.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. One at a time, dip each strawberry in chocolate, twirling to coat and place on waxed paper. Chill strawberries 15 minutes to set chocolate. Serve immediately.