Pumpkin Einkorn Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
2 cups chopped sturdy vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, beets, cauliflower, etc.
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
For the einkorn:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, chopped fine
1 1/2 cups einkorn
1/4 cup dry white wine
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
Toasted hazelnuts, chopped*
Salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Toss the vegetables in olive oil, and salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet evenly. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the broth and keep at a low simmer.
- While veggies are roasting, heat the olive oil over medium heat in another large saucepan. Add shallots and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add einkorn and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until absorbed, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the broth is absorbed before adding more. Season with salt. Continue with the rest of the broth until the einkorn is soft and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in Asiago cheese.
- Season with pepper and serve topped with roasted vegetables and hazelnuts.
*To toast hazelnuts: Heat oven to 350° F.
Spread hazelnuts in a baking pan and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and skins are blistered. Let cool.