2½ lbs. (combined weight) potatoes, sweet potatoes, golden beets, parsnips
1 medium onion
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
optional: sour cream
- Using a box grater or a food processor with a grating disc, coarsely grate the onion and place in a colander to drain. Coarsely grate the root vegetables and add to the colander.
- Whisk together the eggs and chives in a large bowl.
- Press the onion/veggie mixture to extract as much liquid as possible, then add to the egg mixture. Add salt and mix well.
- In a large heavy skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Drop about a ¼ cup of the mixture into the pan and flatten with a spatula to form 3-inch pancakes.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn and fry the other sides until golden brown. Repeat with all the batter. Transfer pancakes to a cookie sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for 6 minutes. Serve hot with sour cream.