Cooking spray or butter, for greasing the pan
1/2 pound zucchini, about 1 medium or 1 ½ cups, grated
1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons poppy seeds
finely grated zest from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large egg
1 ¼ cups cane sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Squeeze out as much of the liquid from the zucchini as you can with your hands.
- Place the flour, baking powder, poppyseeds, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Place the egg, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla in another large bowl and whisk.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the zucchini. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. If it’s too thick, whisk in a teaspoon of water or milk. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaf.