1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup tamari
1/4 cup pineapple juice
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
3 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1- inch cubes
2 large green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
16 oz cherry tomatoes, rinsed
12 metal or wood skewers*
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon pepper and season with salt. Remove 1/2 cup marinade and refrigerate for later use.
- Place chicken in a container with a tight lid or a resealable bag. Pour all remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- After chicken has marinated: In a bowl, pour 3 tablespoons olive oil over red onion, bell pepper, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes and toss. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Thread red onion, bell pepper, cherry tomato, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used.
- Preheat grill to about medium-high. Clean and oil the grill rack using metal tongs and a paper towel soaked in oil. Place skewers on preheated grill and cover. In 5 minutes, brush tops with 1/4 cup of reserved marinade. Flip skewers over and brush with remaining reserved marinade, close grill and allow to cook about 4-5 minutes longer. Serve immediately. Makes about 12 skewers.
*NOTE: If using wooden skewers, soak in water about an hour before constructing kababs.