2 ½ cups unbleached flour
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
½ cup currants
½ cup pecan pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups milk
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Work butter into flour mixture using your hands until it resembles coarse meal, then stir in the currants and pecans.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Whisk together the milk, vinegar, maple syrup, and egg and pour this into the well. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough becomes stiff.
- Dust hands with flour, then knead dough in the bowl just long enough to form a rough ball. Add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into a round loaf. Avoid over kneading.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Score top of dough about an inch deep in an X shape.
- Bake 35 minutes until golden or until a skewer inserted in the bread comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with butter and jam.