slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Beat together the butter, sugars, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the egg, beating until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat again until smooth. Beat in the 2 tablespoons milk. Add the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookies by the traditional “tablespoonful” (actually about 4 measuring teaspoons) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2″ apart. A tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, until they’ve lost their shiny appearance and look like they’re set. Remove from the oven, and cool right on the pans; or transfer to a rack to cool.
Yield: about 2 dozen cookies