Frittatas are perfect to make when you want something wholesome yet elegant. You can use whatever vegetables and cheese you have on hand. We used a combination of chèvre and asiago because that’s what we had in the fridge. Serve your frittata for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. This recipe serves 4.
2 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper
big pinch nutmeg
2 cups asparagus, chopped, steamed
1/3 cup chèvre cheese, crumbled
- Steam the asparagus until tender crisp. Rinse in cool water and drain.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the cheese.
- Heat the broiler in your oven to high and arrange the rack in the middle. Heat a 10 inch cast iron or heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and swirl and tilt the pan to coat the sides of the pan. Add the onions and saute briefly for 2 minutes. Scatter the asparagus over the onions and pour in the egg mixture. Let sit undisturbed for about 1 minute.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook until eggs are set and lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t overcook.
- Remove from oven and let cool a minute before cutting.