1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces
12 oz whole wheat rotini pasta
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
Pinch fresh nutmeg
Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and pasta and cook until pasta is al dente, about 9 minutes.
- Add asparagus to pasta and continue boiling until asparagus is just tender, about 2 more minutes.
- Drain pasta and asparagus in a colander. Set aside.
- In the same pot, turn heat to low and add the butter, cream, nutmeg, salt, white pepper and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Stir until melted and heated through.
- Remove from heat, add back the pasta and asparagus, and toss to coat well. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.