1 3/4 cups white spelt or unbleached flour
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons natural cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
Optional: ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" square or 12 muffin cups.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in cheese if using.
- Whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg in a different bowl.
- Pour the liquid mixture all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, or scoop into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges begin to pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.