Recipe by Ali Lopez
1 small sweet potato
1 portabella mushroom cap, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
1 small carrot, grated
1 small onion, minced
1 big garlic clove, minced
1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground in a food processor
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- To cook quinoa: Place 1/2 cup quinoa, 1 cup water and pinch salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let steam 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potato all over with a fork. Roast until soft 30–45 minutes. Let cool. Remove skin and mash flesh with a fork.
- Place zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Heat some olive oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Cook onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant, then add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrots. Stir occasionally, until vegetables begin to release their liquid, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the quinoa. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Add oat flour, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato to quinoa mixture and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. If mixture needs it, add more sweet potato to bind.
- Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into 4 inch patties, pressing firmly together with your hands. Refrigerate for a half hour to help them firm up. Heat oil in a heavy medium-size skillet over medium heat and cook 2 patties at a time until golden brown on both sides. Top with your favorite burger toppings.