1 large chicken breast
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small summer squash, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large heirloom or beefsteak tomato
4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper
- Place the chicken breast in a plastic bag or between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound with a mallet or small skillet to even out and flatten it. Cut breast in half.
- Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Beat the egg in another bowl with a bit of salt.
- Dip the breast halves in the egg and dredge in the bread crumbs to thoroughly coat.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook undisturbed, until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Turn heat down to medium low and carefully flip the breasts. Cook until browned on the other side, another 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and place over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the zucchini and summer squash. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until veggies are softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- While squash is cooking, turn the oven on to high broil. Place the breasts on a pan. Cover with 1 or 2 tomato slices and 2-3 slices of mozzarella. Broil until lightly browned. Serve the chicken with the squash and sprinkled with fresh chopped basil.