Adapted from epicurious.com
2 pounds fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled
2/3 cup cane sugar
juice from one lemon
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 graham cracker pie crust
optional: whipped cream
- Cut 4 cups of berries into ½ inch dice. Place in a bowl and add sugar and lemon juice. Stir until sugar dissolves and let sit for about 30 minutes, stirring periodically. Strain the liquid from the berries into a 2 cup measuring cup using a sieve. Reserve berries and add enough water to strawberry juice to make 2 cups.
- Pour liquid into a medium saucepan and add a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let sit a minute to soften. Turn heat to low and whisk to dissolve the gelatin. Bring just barely to a simmer and remove from heat. Pour into a bowl and add the cut up berries. Chill this mixture until it starts to gel.
- Place remaining berries in pie crust. Cut into halves or quarters if the berries are large. Pour gelled berries over the top and refrigerate until firm. Serve with whipped cream.
Graham Cracker Pie Crust
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs or 12 whole graham crackers
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add crackers to the bowl of a food processor and process to a meal. Add sugar and melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Press evenly into a 10-inch pie pan. Bake about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack before filling.