Recipe by Ali Lopez
1/3 cup whole milk plain yogurt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil or melted coconut oil
1/4 cup milk (dairy or non dairy, your choice)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/4 cup roasted squash puree (butternut, acorn carnival, kabocha, red kuri are all good)*
2 cups all purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries or chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease all 12 cups of a muffin tin with butter, oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, and oil. Whisk in the eggs, then whisk in the milk, spices, and squash puree.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and optional mix-ins into the bowl. Gently mix until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool.
* To roast squash, start by slicing it in half and then scoop out any seeds. Rub the inside with oil and then place flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Cook in a 400° oven for 30-50 minutes until very soft. Mash in a bowl and then measure out enough for the muffins.