Smoked Cheddar and Ham Potato Gratin
1 tablespoon butter
1 large shallot, chopped fine
6 oz ham, chopped
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
3 cups smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat and sauté the shallots until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange about 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the gratin dish, overlapping them slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the ham and shallots over the potatoes and then about 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat this process 2 more times, finishing with 1 cup of the cheese. Gently press down on the casserole.
- Whisk the half and half together with the flour and drizzle along the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.