Makes 32 cookies
2 sticks butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cold water
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Beat the butter and cream cheese in a standing mixer using the paddle attachment until combined. Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add flour and mix on low speed, scraping down bowl once. Gather the dough into a ball and knead slightly until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, shape each into a ball, then flatten each ball slightly into thick disks. Wrap discs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer. To make eggwash, whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into an 8-inch circle. (Work with one ball at a time and keep the other discs refrigerated.) Spread with fillings.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza wheel to cut the circle into 8 equal wedges. Starting at the wide (outside) edge of each wedge, roll it toward its point. Place the rolled wedges, tip down, on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat this process with the remaining dough. Brush eggwash over each rugelach and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Bake for about 22 minutes until they are puffed and golden. Let cool on the pan.
2/3 cup apricot jam
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Spread rounds with apricot jam and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
1 small jar cherry preserves
1 tablespoon cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Spread rounds with cherry preserves and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or chocolate bar chopped fine
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
Combine the sugar and cinnamon. Melt butter and let cool slightly. Brush the butter over the rolled out dough, sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture, then sprinkle with chocolate chips. Press the chocolate lightly down into the dough.
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons melted, butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cane sugar
Grind the walnuts in a food processor, leaving some chunks. Mix with sugar. Combine melted butter and honey in a small bowl. Spread honey-butter mixture over rounds and sprinkle with walnuts.
Fruit & Nut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or currants
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Process the sugar, walnuts, dried fruit, and cinnamon in a food processor or blender until finely chopped and well combined. Brush rounds with melted butter and sprinkle with filling.