Puff pastry makes a great quiche dough, and you can vary the fillings in this if you want. Add cooked vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, onion, etc. Use a different cheese or leave out the bacon. The options are many.
8 slices bacon
1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 heaping cup Emmentaler cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
big pinch black pepper
big pinch nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400°F and spray a 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the bacon slices until crisp. Drain on paper towel lined plate and then chop.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Beat in the cream and milk. Add the salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Roll the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a 14 inch square. Fold dough in half and place on the prepared baking pan. Unfold and carefully press into the pan without stretching the dough. Fold the overhanging dough under and press down against the edge of the pan so it doesn’t slide down.
- Scatter the chopped bacon over the dough. Spread the grated cheese over the bacon. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set. Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 9 smaller slices or 4 large slices.