Yield: 24 cookies
1 3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange extract
finely grated peel from 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Spray or cover 2 large cookie sheetswith parchment paper.
- In large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg, extracts, orange peel, and salt until smooth. Mix together the flour and baking powder in another bowl until well blended. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Press down with your thumb to make a small well in the center of the cookie.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until set. (If necessary, make another indentation in center of each cookie with your thumb.) Cool a few minutes then remove from cookie sheets to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, heat the chocolate, cream, and coconut oil in a small, heavy saucepan over the lowest heat setting. Stir until melted. Or, in a small glass bowl bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, cream and coconut uncovered on high for 35 seconds; stir. Continue heating and stirring 10 seconds at a time until smooth. Spoon chocolate into indentation of each cookie. Let chocolate filling harden up before storing cookies.