No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 cups room temperature water
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and yeast together using a whisk. Pour the water into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until all the flour is incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight or for at least 12 and up to 18 hours.
- Generously sprinkle a work surface with flour. Scoop out the dough from the bowl onto the floured surface and sprinkle with a little more flour. Knead the dough for about 30-60 seconds and shape it into a smooth ball. Cover the ball with a dish towel and let sit for one hour.
- Remove one rack from your oven and arrange the remaining rack a few inches from the bottom of the oven. Place a 5 qt Dutch oven with lid in the oven and heat to 450°F.
- Carefully remove the heated pot from the oven and remove the lid from it. Take the ball of dough and drop it into the pot. Cover the pot and place it back in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove pot from oven and let cool a few minutes. Remove the bread from the pot with a large metal spatula or using oven mitts and let cool on a rack.
- You can substitute rye flour for the whole wheat flour, or use all white flour.
- Some no knead bread recipes call for lining the pot with parchment paper for easier removal. Use the parchment to lift the bread out on a cooling rack.
- You can score the top of the dough with a sharp knife before baking but this isn’t necessary.