Loaded Veggie Nachos
You can vary the toppings in this recipe. Use whatever you like on your nachos: corn, beans, ground meat, red onion, roasted sweet potato, etc.
Your favorite sturdy tortilla chips
1 can (15 oz) refried black beans
2 cups packed, shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese or combination
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced
sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chips on the baking sheet. Don’t overlap them too much. You want a single layer of chips.
- Sprinkle the chips with about 1/4 of the cheese. Distribute small dollops of refried beans all over the chips. Sprinkle with the bell pepper, tomato, jalapeños, and half the green onions. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with the remaining green onions.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the nachos from the oven and sprinkle with the cilantro and avocado cubes. Serve immediately with sour cream and salsa on the side.
Tips for making the best nachos:
- Don’t use too many chips. Make a single layer of chips so every bite is full of the toppings.
- Sprinkle the cheese throughout the toppings, not just on top, so everything is nicely incorporated.
- Serve the salsa and sour cream on the side so the nachos don’t get soggy.
- Have your salsa, sour cream, and avocado ready to go so you can serve the nachos immediately. They cool down very quickly.