4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
3 tablespoons cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups currants
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the currants and caraway seeds.
- Beat the eggs and set aside 1 tablespoon beaten egg.
- Combine the buttermilk and remaining beaten eggs; stir into crumb mixture just until flour is moistened (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead about 10 times, adding extra flour as needed. Shape into a ball.
- Place in a greased round 9-inch baking pan. Cut an “X” in the center of the ball. Brush the top with reserved egg.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if top browns too quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.