Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup molasses
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy. Stir in eggs and molasses. Add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and wrap dough balls in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, one hour or up to two days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured work surface. Cut into shapes of your choice using cookie cutters. Lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until crisp but not darkened, about 12-13 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets or on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing if desired.
Decorative Royal Icing
2 pounds powdered sugar, sifted
1/3 cup whole milk, plus more if needed for thinning
2 whole egg whites
To make the icing, beat the powdered sugar, milk, and egg whites until thick but thin enough to be piped. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a fine tip, or a squirt bottle, or a DIY Piping bag: Pour into a plastic bag and cut off the tip of one corner.