Easy Strawberry Cream Cake
3/4 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 quart strawberries, washed, trimmed
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the pan. Lightly spray the parchment circle.
- Using an electric mixer beat the melted butter and sugar together until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on high speed for one minute until smooth and thick.
- Beat in the milk. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and beat until smooth, but don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes. Loosen the sides by running a knife around the cake, then invert the pan onto a plate. Gently tap the pan until the cake drops out. Invert the cake again onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Whip the cream with the maple syrup and vanilla until it’s stiff. Place the bowl in the fridge.
- Coarsely chop half the strawberries and place in a bowl. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons sugar and mash slightly and stir, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is syrupy. Slice or halve the remaining strawberries.
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake and cut the cake in half through the equator with a long knife. Place the bottom piece on a cake stand or serving plate. Spoon the macerated berries evenly over the cake. Spread half the whipped cream over the berries.
- Place the top half of the cake over the cream. Spread the remaining cream over the cake and arrange the strawberry slices in a pretty pattern over the cream. You can serve immediately, or keep refrigerated until ready to serve. This is best enjoyed the same day you make it.