2 lbs venison, cut into bite-size chunks
salt and pepper
2 slices smoky bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 large russet potato, peeled, cubed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup beef broth
12 oz mushrooms, quartered
½ cup peas
salt and pepper to taste
- Season the venison with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and chop. Set aside.
- Add the oil to the bacon drippings and brown the meat in batches on all sides. Transfer browned meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrots and garlic to the skillet; season with salt and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour, stir and transfer to the cooker.
- Add the wine to the skillet, bring to a boil and cook, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan, until the wine has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into cooker. Stir in the broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaf, potatoes, and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the crumbled bacon and peas and stir to combine. Cook for another hour or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.