Cranberry Apple Crisp
For the topping
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 stick butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons ice cold water
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
For the filling
6 large apples, such as Braeburn, Honeycrisp, or gala, peeled, cored, chopped
8 oz fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Pinch sea salt
1 cup cane sugar
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon butter, melted
To make crisp topping:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Drizzle in the water and pulse until it just starts to clump together. Keep chilled until ready to use.
Assemble and bake:
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place apples, cranberries, and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss. Whisk together the sugar, arrowroot, cinnamon, cardamom and salt in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the apples and toss to combine. Drizzle the butter over the apples and toss again.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Alternating with the chopped pecans, sprinkle the topping evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until browned on top and bubbling. If the top starts to get too brown after about 45 minutes, cover loosely with foil. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.