Cornmeal Cheddar Bacon Muffins
5 – 6 slices bacon
1 cup white spelt flour or all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons cane sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly (replace some of this with melted bacon fat if desired)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray a regular-size muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Chop and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and eggs until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the bacon and cheddar cheese. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool muffins for 5 minutes before removing from pan.