1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup full fat plain yogurt
1 cup finely grated carrots
clarified butter, ghee, or vegetable oil
Toasted walnuts for garnish
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, yogurt and carrots.
- Heat butter or oil in a large cast iron or heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour batter into pan and spread out to about 3 1/2 – 4 inches. Repeat to fill the pan but avoid letting the pancakes touch. Cook until bubbles start to appear and pancakes are nicely browned on the bottom. Carefully flip and cook the other sides until brown.
- Add more butter and repeat with remaining batter. Keep cooked pancakes warm in a pan in an oven set at 250°F.
- Serve immediately with toasted walnuts and maple syrup. Makes about 14 small pancakes.