Browned Butter Pumpkin Bread with Orange Glaze
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pumpkin purée
1 cup cane sugar
1 stick butter
juice and fine zest from 1 orange
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
fresh orange zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter the insides of an 8 x 4 x 3 -inch loaf pan or coat with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking a few minutes until the milk solids start to brown and the butter smells nutty. Remove from heat, pour into a heat-proof dish and cool.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices in a large bowl.
- Mix together the pumpkin purée, sugar, the cooled browned butter, eggs, and orange juice in a separate bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and smooth over the top. Bake for 60 – 75 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Tip the pan over a cutting board, tap it against the board, and the bread should pop right out. If it doesn’t, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the bread. Cool the bread completely on a wire rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, zest, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and there are no lumps of sugar. If it’s too thick, add a tiny bit more milk. Drizzle over the bread.