4 strips bacon, chopped*
1 large onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 carrots, diced small
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups brown lentils, soaked 8 hours or overnight, drained
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 large yellow potato, unpeeled, diced small
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain some of the fat if desired but keep 1 tablespoon in the pot.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrots to the pot. Saute 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the broth, lentils, potato, bacon, thyme, bay leaf, marjoram, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in vinegar. Taste and add more salt if needed. Ladle into bowls, add a dollop of Crème fraîche and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with rustic bread and butter.
* Substitute Fakin Bacon to make this soup vegetarian