This easy cookie is not only delicious, it’s also gluten-free, with a crisp exterior and chewy interior. You can omit the chocolate if you want, but who would do such a thing!?
2 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill works great)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup almonds, blanched*
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat & set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl or using a stand mixer, whisk the eggs whites until they hold soft peaks. Whisk in the almond extract.
- Add the whipped eggs to the almond mixture and stir together with a wood spoon or rubber spatula until well mixed and a soft dough forms.
- Scoop out 1 inch balls of dough and roll into smooth balls. Place balls on the prepared baking sheet spacing them evenly apart. You should have about 18 balls. Gently press a blanched almond into the top of each ball.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are light brown. Remove from oven; transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in a small bowl or 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Dip the bottoms of the cookies into the chocolate. Place cookies on parchment or wax paper-lined plate. Let cool completely until chocolate is hard. Store in an airtight container.
*To blanch the almonds, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Dump in the almonds and blanch for 1 minute. Drain in a colander or sieve and rinse with cold water. Spread them on a clean kitchen towel and pat them dry. The skins will be loose and you can press the almonds to release them from the skins. Be careful as the almond meat will try to shoot across the kitchen!