Zucchini Bacon Cheese Fritters
1 lb zucchini (about 2 medium size zucchini)
3 slices bacon, cooked, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
oil or clarified butter, for frying
- Shred the zucchini and place in a mound in the middle of a clean dish towel. Squeeze excess liquid from the zucchini.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl and whisk. Add in the zucchini, flour, bacon, and cheese and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper and toss again.
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add oil or clarified butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Scoop out large spoonfuls into the oil and spread to about 1/2 inch thick. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Flip using a thin metal spatula and cook the other side until browned, another 2 minutes or so. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Or place on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven set at 250°F.
- Repeat with more oil and cook remaining batter. Makes about 10 fritters. Serve immediately with sour cream.