This vegan version of a fall classic is just as sweet, creamy and delicious as the original. To make it gluten-free, simply use gluten free oats for the crust, and sorghum flour in the crust and filling. You can also use real butter and sour cream in place of the vegan. You can replace the apple sauce and flax seed with one egg.
1 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 cup vegan sour cream
½ cup natural cane sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose Flour
¼ cup applesauce
1 tablespoon flax seed, ground fine
2 medium Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the vegan butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add remaining crust ingredients and continue beating until well mixed.
- Press half the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 9 square cake pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the applesauce, flax seeds and 1 tablespoon of sour cream until thickened and smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture over hot, partially baked crust then crumble remaining crust over the filling, pressing down lightly.
- Bake for an additional 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is set. Cool, then refrigerate until chilled. Refrigerate any leftovers.