1 pie crust
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, sliced or diced
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
2 heaping cups leftover turkey, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups turkey broth, if you have it, or chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup peas
2 teaspoons fresh herbs, chopped, i.e. thyme, tarragon, rosemary, parsley, etc.
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion, carrots, and celery; cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in broth, stirring constantly. Stir in the turkey and peas.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish or deep pie pan.
- Roll out crust to about 1 inch larger than the dish you’re using.
- Place the crust on top of the pot pie mixture; fold under and press crust onto the edge of the dish. Poke vents in the top of the crust. Brush the top with beaten egg.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.