Tuna Noodle Casserole
1/2 pound elbow pasta or other small tube pasta or egg noodles
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
½ cup peas
1 cup artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
2 cans water packed tuna, drained, flaked
- Heat oven to 400 °F. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta per package instructions. Make sure noodles are al dente, and not too soft. Drain and return to pot.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko and melted butter.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Stir in flour, onion and garlic powder and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in broth and milk. Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese. Pour into the cooked noodles along with the tuna, artichoke hearts, and peas. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer tuna mixture to a greased 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with panko crumb mixture. Bake until heated through and golden, about 35 minutes.