1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, plus more for pan
1 cup cane sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
Optional: flaky salt
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a half sheet pan with butter or shortening.
- Mix sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well, until batter is thick, shiny, and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour until well incorporated, then continue beating until glossy and smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter into a thin even layer to about an inch from the edges of the pan. Do not spread all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle the batter with toasted pistachios and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until just firm to the touch. Allow to cool on the pan. Cut brownies into 3-inch squares.