Strawberry Slab Pie
Reprinted with permission from welcometothetable.coop
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus ¼ teaspoon
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (10 ounces)
3/4 cup ice water
3 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons half and half
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, ½ cup sugar and 1½ teaspoons salt. Cut in the butter, then drizzle in ice water as you toss with a fork. If needed, drizzle in an additional tablespoon or so of ice water to make a dough. Form into a rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Note that the crust will have a biscuit-like texture when baked.)
- Place the hulled, halved strawberries in a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, vanilla and remaining salt and toss to coat.
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Get out a 10 x 15-inch baking pan that is 1 inch deep.
- On a floured counter, cut off one third of the dough. Roll the larger piece to 12 by 16 inches. Transfer the dough to the pan, pat lightly to fit into the pan, leaving the edges hanging over.
- Roll out the remaining piece of dough into a piece 11 by 16 inches. Distribute the berries over the dough in the pan. Place the second sheet of dough over the pie. Fold the edges of the lower crust over the upper crust, crimp the crust, and slash vents in the top with a knife.
- Brush the top of the pie with half and half and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 400°F. Place a sheet of foil over the pie, then bake 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling.