Reprinted with permission from welcometothetable.coop
¼ cup butter, softened
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup plain yogurt
¾ lb strawberries, hulled and halved vertically
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to mix.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy, and then beat in sugar. Beat for about 2 minutes, until fluffy and light. Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping down and mixing again to make a creamy mixture.
- Alternate beating in half the yogurt, half the flour mixture, then half the yogurt and half the flour mixture, just until mixed.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pie pan. Arrange the strawberry halves on top, placing them lightly, starting along the rim, then filling in concentric circles to cover the batter completely. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the top is golden and crackly, and a toothpick inserted
- in the center of the cake comes out with no wet batter.
- Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before slicing. Keeps, tightly wrapped, for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.